We are proud to announce that we have teamed up with WaterAid during our production of ‘Urinetown – The Musical’ in November. WaterAid focuses on helping transform lives by improving access to safe water, hygiene and sanitation. They work in Africa, Asia, Central America and the Pacific region and campaign globally to raise awareness of their vision of a world where everyone has access to these basic human rights.
- In 2012/13 they reached 1.7 million people with safe water.
- In 2012/13 they reached 2.2 million people with sanitation.
- Every hour they reached 190 people with safe water last year.
- Since 1981 they have reached 19.2 million people with safe water.
- Since 2004 they have reached 15.1 million people with sanitation.
- They work in 27 countries in Africa, Asia, Central America and the Pacific region.
WaterAid Timor-Leste and Papua New Guinea statistics
- 2,900 people reached in Papua New Guinea with safe water in 2012/13.
- 7,179 people reached in Papua New Guinea with sanitation in 2012/13.
- 2,495 people reached in Timor-Leste with sanitation and water in 2012/13.
- Since 2006, they have reached 17,968 people in Timor-Leste with water and sanitation.
- Since 2004, they have reached 47,143 people with water and 52,877 people with sanitation in Papua New Guinea.
- 768million people in the world don’t have access to safe water. This is roughly one in ten of the world’s population.
- 2.5 billion people don’t have access to adequate sanitation, almost two-fifths of the world’s population.
- Around 700,000 children die every year from diarrhea caused by unsafe water and poor sanitation. That’s almost 2,000 children a day.